Sunday, December 21, 2014

RUM 8- Just a few blocks down the way

I haven't written in this badboy in a really long time but it seems to be generating a fair amount of hits still from google and instagram and what to... so here's a quick update on training.  I'm currently less than 2 months out from RUM 8.  Next on my plate after that will be the ANIMAL CAGE at the Arnold's and then the JUGGERNAUT invitational powerlifting meet in April.


SQUAT

I've been getting lot of work done addressing my long nagging knee injury that has been making my lifting miserable for the past few years.  I have a good chiro and an awesome RMT who's been grinding away at me…ironing out all of the many wrinkles(adhesions) up and down the chain surrounding my knee.  Things are getting much better.

For the first time in a looooooong I was able to squat without knee pain pushing me out of groove, dictating my technique and effort…

I was able to hit up 8 sets of 5 reps @500 with a decent amount of speed, a decent quality on reps(balance, control , etc), and very importantly, minimal knee pain.  I am still a little anxious when squatting and trying to avoid pain and not moving with perfect confidence, but things are probably the best they have been in quite a while.  If things hold up, my squat, which has been stagnant for the past few years because of these problems …  the squat should rise dramatically.  They say you are not fully over an injury until you stop thinking about it…  we'll see.  I am so used to being in pain that when I go to squat and DON'T feel pain…i am in shock.

I have been squatting low 700's for the past 3 years without really being able to train the squat properly.  Last year at RUM I was in agony all of the time.  I would have one good session and then not be able to squat for 2 weeks.  So we will see how things progress both for RUM 8 and more importantly for 2015.    

RUM 8 Prep on the squat….

I had to take a couple months off from squatting completely.  Getting back into it, around 12 weeks out, I decided to start with CAT squats around 400lbs and to add 25 lbs a week…400, 425, 450, 475…500 etc..  My last squat session before RUM8, if all things go well, will end at 650x5 for 1-3 sets hopefully.  Although this is not the most complicated progression…its what I felt was best given the cards i have been dealt…  simply master a new weight every week and slowly progress.  Although I would like to hit PR's…  squatting healthy is a WIN on its own.

Here's 4th set of 8.  500x5


BENCH

Not too long ago while doing some filming in NJ for Animal I smoked 485 for a single with a legit paused (PR) and attempted 500.  500 felt light, came off the chest strong…but I lost it at the midpoint….  I really want that 500 and can taste it…  it will rise soon. If not at RUM, at the next...

DEADLIFT

I am doing my own variation of the Russian Power taper for RUM8.  This is my 3rd time running RUSSIAN POWER.  For the first accumulation phase I was planning on using chains and a stiff bar the whole way through.  I got sick and on my 4's day, was dehydrated and strained my hammy.  Should have taken the day off.
For the 5's, since I wasn't sure how my hammy would react, I ditched the chains and ditched the stiff bar….grabbed an Okie and lifted cautiously..

5x6set@640

The last time I did Russian Power, I used 635 as my accumulation weight.  So this is only 5lbs more.  The last time I got 775 out of it but I don't think the taper was optimal.  This time I am going to alter the taper a little bit and hopefully I can get  a damn 800+ pull.  It has been eluding me for quite some time.



RUM 8 Just around the way….

220 or 242?  I am not 100% sure.  I have been waking up between 241 and 244 these days.  Getting down shouldn't be too difficult, I have time…  the only thing is that since I am trying to build my squat the way I am…being in a caloric deficit may not be optimal.  We will see…i'll just have to listen to my body.

For now, I'd just like to focus on lifting the heaviest weights possible at RUM..the weight class is secondary..

"The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing."  -GSP