Tuesday, October 11, 2011

T-LOG: MONoct10-TUESoct11

Monday, October 10th, 2011


Still building reps in the bench and avoiding heavy lifting.


Bench Press: 365lbs x 7 x 5 sets ( these sets felt very good.  I felt as though I could do about 9 reps each set)
Handstand Holds x 40s x 4 sets
V-bar Chins: 25 x 4 sets




Tuesday, October 11th, 2011


After talking with Sam Byrd last night about healing up, not lifting too heavy and compensatory acceleration in the squat, I thought I would lift lighter weights in the squat for a while to let my quad heal up.  My chiropractor Dmitry Bichet was also telling me to do more higher repetition squats so that the muscles would get more muscle contractions at an intensity that would not risk a greater tear in the muscle belly.  And since this has worked greatly with my tricep......


Byrdman likes Dr. Squat's 5 x 5 @ 60% in 25 minutes, focusing on controlled decent and speed on the way up.  I like this, it sounds fun, but it is simply not enough volume at such a low intensity for me and my bulgarian mentality to feel as though I have done anything.  I have a hard time understanding how a person can squat in the mid 700's only training with weights that are in the mid 400's.  But as A GENERAL RULE ON TRAINING PHILOSOPHIES(or with regards to anything) of mine goes, if the person hasn't done aything impressive or at least coached someone impressive(demonstrated to some capacity of their competence) don't listen to them.  Well, Sam knows how to squat, he's gotten over a major quad injury, and he just squatted some big weights in the Animal Cage and since I started powerlifting him and Kirk Karwoski have been my favourite squatters.......So, YES,  I'm open minded to what he has to say..... and I'm going to lift at 60% for some compensatory acceleration(although I'm adding a little more volume so I don't go crazy).
Byrdman in the Animal Cage a few weeks back squatting a raw knee wrapped unofficial WR of 825lbs





Back Squat: 430lbs(60%my 1RM) x 5 reps x 8 sets in 25 minutes


***This was actually not a bad training session.  By the 3rd set at around 7 minutes my legs were feeling pretty full of blood and the decent was feeling smoother.  By the 6th set my lower back was getting a mean pump(no belt and not conditioned for high reps, 40 reps, in a short period of time, even with such a light load).  We'll see how my legs feel tomorrow.